Sunday, October 12, 2014

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us - Extended Comments

Reading Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us was very good. I enjoyed reading this article. After reading Jessica Tennerella's blog, I decided I will write my blog based on hers using extended comments. Like Jess, I took a class that was called Mickey Mouse Monopoly as my FYS with Professor Zornado. We read many articles and watched the disney movie related to which article we
read. This class did teach me a lot and like Jessica I always left the class with anger, confusion and sad because of the underlining messages from the films and articles. I work at a daycare as well and I have about 40 children in my after school program. I see how there are many gender stereotypes because I have a lot of times when boys are playing a game they made up from the lego movie and this little girl always wants to play with them and the boys say no because it is a "boy game". I try to explain that they need to let her play or they can not play at all because she is allowed to play with them and it would not be fair.

Not only do Disney movies affect these children's lives but also other movies like Mean girls. I think I have explained this situation before in another blog. I have these girls who were the 3 mean girls from the movie and kept being mean to the girl that was not part of there little club . It got so bad  that this girl actually left our daycare and we had to end the game. This little girl would go
home crying from after school care. I was in shock knowing this happened. These movies are affecting these young kids society. I do not really believe there is anything to do. But just like reading Safe Spaces,  when I become a teacher,  I want to create a safe place where these children can explore an feel like they home and safe. I want my children to have fun and not be afraid to come to school.

Link to Jess's Blog.


6 comments:

  1. I really like your connections from the after school program that you work at!! That is so sad that one of the little girls had gotten bullied so bad that she left the day care How old are the kids you work with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you connected the article to your everyday life. I also like the chart you posted on gender stereotypes. I have seen many Disney movies like Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Snow White. What is really sad is that each one of these princesses possess almost all of these stereotypes. They were nurturing, gentle, submissive, home oriented, dependent, and sensitive to others feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Essence I enjoyed your connection to everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else I enjoyed reading your connection to your everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you connected yours to mine. Its cool to see how our daycare experience can relate to one another.

    ReplyDelete